Monday, September 17, 2012

Help! Writing is NOT Exciting.

Someone once said the life of a writer is exciting. After all, all we have to do is sit down, come up with some creative ideas, string them together and crank out a story or novel. Sounds simple enough, right?

But what if the creative ideas aren’t there? What if getting the next load of laundry done is on our mind? What if we’re thinking about taking Aunt Martha shopping next Tuesday? What if we’re worried about our child and his next soccer game? What if everything keeps turning up and turning us away from the computer and the blank screen?

Is that what we call writer’s block? Is it avoidance? Or is it just our brain telling us it’s time for a break?

I’m throwing all my loose change on the last choice. For the past few weeks I’ve been stonewalled on where I’m headed with a sequel to my novel, Red Fox Woman, which is a mystery, romance and western. I have already written nine chapters, have a rough outline, but I can’t seem to get myself in that writer’s zone. You know, that place where the words flow like a bubbling stream, carrying you away into the fantasy world of your characters?

At first, I decided I’d blame it on the weather, the beautiful summer, my many travels, and a host of other things that can’t respond to or rebut my accusations. Now, I’ve decided that I’m just distracted, somewhat weary, even annoyed with everyday life and the things which constantly need my attention.

So this week I’m not going wait until January 1st. I’m making a fall resolution—to focus on my writing. Now all I need is for someone to tell me how to find the willpower and determination. How do I rekindle the excitement? Is there some sort of elixir I can take? Please give me your thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment